This is the third modification of the original recipe and has not been tried yet.
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm)
Title: pho style broth 001
Yields: 8 quarts
Cooktime: 6 hours
Preparation Time: 1/2 hour
Categories: soup, broth, WAB, Vietnamese
10 lb bones, misc
1 ts whole cloves
1 stalk celery
10 carrots, medium
2 garlic, whole
1 tb basil, sweet, dry
1 tb cinamon
2 tb dark brown sugar
1 1/2 c soy sauce, dark
8 qt water
1. The original recipe did not mention par boiling the bones, I think
that is a better option so is added here.
2. Cut everything peel, skin, etc. and all into large chunks
3. Everyone in the pool (and a large stock pot pool at that)
4. bring to a boil
5. simmer for 5 hours
6. skim if needed but it is really best tasting if you wait to skim
until after unless you have huge fat deposits collecting.
7. pour the stock through what ever filter you use (china cap with
cheese cloth works here, so does a very fine screen china cap)
8. place the stock into the refrigerator in a container which you will
be able to slightly warm later.
9. wait until the fat has risen to the top and solidified (the broth
should also be a gelled solid mass)
10. skim the fat easily now, remelt the broth and put into your
storage containers. (see notes)
Rating: 3/5 stars
Source: Kim Ng On
Borrowed from a friend on a food forum, then modified after each batch
until we were satisfied it was "our pho broth #001"
Some ways we have used this stock for work meals:
1) remove the fat, cut into single serving size cubes placing each
monster cube into a zip top bag which can then be frozen.
2) remelt and pour into zip top bags which can then be frozen into
convenient lunch bag ice cubes that double as the tasty broth for that
3) remelt, reduce significantly and pour into ice cube trays 1-2 cubes
should work with some added water for a quick bowl.
4) eat warm
* The original recipe called for 1/4 c dark brown sugar, we found that
* Also called for 1 c soy sauce we found that slightly low. This may
be adjusted later as we are on to broth #2 in our quest
Happy First Anniversary, Mama Gaia!
6 hours ago